Featured Wordpress Article
Optimizing WordPress Blogs For Search Engines
As a WordPress blogger you would definitely want to optimize your blog for search engines. It gives your blog better search engine rankings. It also leads a lot of traffic to your blog. Apart from good content there are some other things that you need to keep in mind for optimizing WordPress blogs for search engines.
The optimizing process is divided into a number of different topics. These are:
- Generating a sitemap for Google
- Getting your site indexed by Google
- Getting Google to index and follow the right stuff
- Optimizing your title
- Optimizing your header tags
- Using keyword-rich permalinks
- Keyword density
- Deep linking
- Using meta descriptions
- Using meta keywords
Here is what you need to do to configure a WordPress blog for maximum search engine visibility:
1. Use Permalinks on your blog
2. Place your titles up front in your URLs - In the Permalinks section you can choose any option to suit your needs and placing your title up front in your URL helps in optimizing.
3. Tags - Tags enables search engines to peep through your website more easily and also creates specific pages for keywords. Use this for boosting your popularity.
4. Page titles - Select a good title for your pages and put it in front of your URL. Most important keyword or keyword phrase should be placed at the starting of the title and always keep the title short. Add meta keywords and a description to your WordPress blogs.
5. Choose post titles very carefully - Post titles should be as clear as possible, and directly relevant to the post. Choose keywords carefully per post and include those words in the post title.
6. Autolinks - Cross link to your own posts and pages. Do it by linking keywords to relevant postings.
7. Related posts - Put in the links of related posts which helps search engine to creep into your site and may also make your visitors stay a little longer.
8. Ping services - Every time we post or edit a page, your WordPress blog notifies all relevant sites that you have updated your blog. So using these ping services is helpful.
9. Google sitemaps - Google sitemaps is a tool for webmasters, which help the users find the most important pages and helps in indexing.
10. Categories - It is recommended to divide the content into categories. If permalinks are turned on we can make the category name appear in our URL. That's a great help.
To keep the blog in the primary search results for a longer time here are a few more things that you can try:
1. Limit the text shown on your blog pages.
2. Use WordPress plugins like Google XML sitemap, Optimal Title, WordPress Meta Plug in and Dagon Design Sitemap Generator.
3. Select a "summary" for your blog's RSS feed file.
5. Blogs which offer a site map benefit users as well as help with search engine rankings. This also makes the link popular and improves the visibility of internal pages of the blog.
6. A WordPress user should also avoid using duplicate content in his blog. It is bad for the blog and will lead to a penalty being imposed.
7. Create a network with other bloggers to increase back links to your blog
Search engine optimization is definitely something that most bloggers would like to master and with a little effort you too surely can.